Search This Blog

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Own Your Own Life With A Business Or Let Your Job Own You For Life

So many people these days are complaining about this and about that - and the topic they complain most about not having enough time or the money to enjoy doing the things they like or are passionate about in life. Some others know they are missing something in life, and they are not fully aware yet of what it is. I'm suggesting that they are not even conscious of the slavery that their job has imposed upon them.

It sounds rather blunt that I put it this way; however, I have been there myself. I was a banker for almost 10 years in Vancouver. I was in corporate banking, getting to know fully the intimate financial positions of some top money earners in the real estate development arena in Western Canada. I worked downtown Vancouver, day in and day out, amidst "the suits" - the business men and business women dressed in their business attire, carrying around their briefcases or leather portfolios and pads. When I first worked downtown here, I was rather naive in thinking, "wow, they're so dressed in their expensive suits, and oh, how they hold their posture ...they must be earning the big bucks...".

Corporate zombies. Now, in hindsight, and when I do travel that part of Vancouver, I can and have classified 50% of these suits. I know that they probably are either stuck in the office, or they bring home their work with them. So much so that they have a hard time looking for the time to spend with their family and loved ones. I know that they are feeling - so comfortable and so secure (falsely secure) in their high -or low-- paying jobs that they feel that there is nothing they can do about it. Some, I know are feeling that they are not being paid what they are worth...putting in the overtime hours after work or even during the weekends, just as I did before, but not claiming overtime because of their intense loyalty to their job. I call this zombie brown-nosing. I know that a lot of them have been in the situation where they have called in sick and felt guilty about it, even though they were really sick. Some called in sick, feeling guilty because they were not sick but had to call in sick so they can bring their kid to the doctor themselves. Some don't even know that they don't know how much their "job" has taken over their life. I know of one fellow ex-coworker who once remarked he didn't know where all the years had gone, missing his children's growing-up activities, because he was so engrossed in the corporate work world.

Nowadays, when I do travel in that part of the world in Vancouver, I see the lifeless faces. And I somewhat do feel sorry for them because I was once there. I see their perception of world they have been conditioned to accept it as it is, because that is what a good boy or girl must do...get a good education, get a degree or diploma, find a good company to stay with that pays you well with good benefits.

So who's kidding who? The suits here in the corporate world will in all likelihood never even come close to earning enough to own their dream house that they thought they could own if they finished college or university. Why won't they realize their dream lifestyle? Because chances are they will not be able to trade enough time for the amount of dollars that would be required to finally have that dream lifestyle. That's the simple truth. This is backed up the true statistics that 95% of people at the age of 65 will be either dead or dead broke. And only 5% will be wealthy.

So what about the 5%? Do you think these are the workers who have worked the 30 to 40 years for that somebody else? Oh, on the contrary!! These are the people who leveraged their time so that they found enough time to trade for the required dollars they'd need for their dream lifestyle!! In fact, these 5% may have been the employer. These 5% may have owned a business so people could work for them, and/or found a way to make their money for for them.

Now, did you know there's an "occupation" that has made more millionaires than any other occupation? It's network marketing, or in the old colloquial term, "multi-level marketing." In fact, there is a certain company at this date that has created more millionaires than any other company in the network marketing industry. Over 300 of them in just 10 years. There is a company that, at it's 7 year-mark, was the 4th fastest growing company in all of business history, just after Google, Fedex and Intel. You can find out later which one, or contact me.

If you want to know more about network marketing, you can click on this link to read an article by Bill Dunigan, another professional network marketer who happens to be in my network marketing organization.