Search This Blog

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Semiahmoo Resort August 2005

While staying at Beachwood Resort, (Birch Bay, Washington) just this last week, I was reminded to write about our experience last year at Semiahmoo Resort just a few minutes drive away.
While overall we had a great time enjoying the waterfront setting and its aural songs throughout the day from the lapping waves, I did have one negative chip on my shoulder, so to say. This is a family-friendly resort, and our experience as a family at the swimming pool area was not at all friendly for us. It was about 8pm when we all went to enjoy the hottub and swimming pool. It didn't start off well when there was already some young folks with their beer bottles (yes glass bottles) at the hot tub. I went and told the spa attendant about this, and she showed some reluctance to anything about it at first. Judging by the fact that she looked young herself, she may have not had the experience in being assertive and executing disciplinary measures. But she did admit that there is to be no drinking allowed, especially with glass items around the pool and hot tub area. So I went back feeling satisfied that she would be coming around soon to speak to the young couples at the hot tub. But she did not appear. After about 20 minutes I decided that we should leave, despite our kids' protests.

I had changed quickly and waited just outside the women's changerooms for the kids and Mom to rinse off and do their hair, etc. But then , what I observed next was the "last straw." One of the young girls who was drinking earlier went to the changeroom , perhaps to change also or to just to do her business. Then a few seconds later, her boyfriend also followed and walked into the change room. I immediately went to tell the attendant and adamantly ordered her to call security. Finally, something was done, and two security guards immediately showed up less than 30 seconds later, and they had the young man and his girlfriend fetched. I felt satisfaction when they told him and his girlfriend that that was their last night there.

Meanwhile, my wife and daughters came out, oblivious to what had just happened.

As long as they were safe...

Before leaving Semiahmoo Resort and heading back to Vancouver, I described this incident on their feedback cards. I expected a call back from management, but no one called back within the next 2 weeks. I called and left a message with one of the management staff (I can't remember the name), and to their credit, they called back and left a message since I was not home at the time.

I left it at that , and to this day, I still receive general broadcast emails from them about their Semiahmoo specials. However, it may be some time before we go back.

**************************

P.S. This trip was wholly financed indirectly by my full-time business income with Tahitian Noni International. Even while on the trip, I had done some prospecting for potential business partners...but I did not find that right business-minded, entpreneurial person to fill in the open leadership position in my organization.